General Lectures – The following presentations have been made at various venues over the last few years. Most of these lectures are one hour or less in length. A few of them require up to two hours. They can be tailored to meet the needs of the audience. The lectures cover topics such as Origins, Creation, Evolution, Intelligent Design (ID), Science, Design, Apologetics, Worldview, Information, Cloning, Stem Cells, New Atheists, Ethics, and Pseudoscience. Most lecture descriptions can be found on this web page.
- The Basics of Creation Apologetics: The Creation vs. Evolution controversy has been with us for more than 150 years, especially since the publication of Charles Darwin’s book on “The Origin of Species.” Atheists say that Evolution is Science and Creation is Religion. However, the two origins models are really a conflict between two different worldviews – naturalism and supernaturalism. We look at the evidence in a number of areas of science and ask the question – does the evidence best support Creation or Evolution? We show that science does in fact support Creation better than it does Evolution. Creation is an essential truth of the Bible and Evolution is not a proven fact, despite what evolutionists say. CreationBasics.ppt.
- Why Creation Apologetics: There is a perceived conflict between science and the Bible, e.g. Evolution vs. Creation. The church has not been providing answers to the hard questions asked by our youth. We need to teach the truth in the Bible from the very first verse and be ready to defend our faith by showing that science and the Bible are in agreement. We review what the Bible, Jesus, and the Apostles say about Creation and demonstrate the scientific evidence for Creation. What we believe about Creation matters. CreationWhy.ppt.
- Introduction to Creation vs. Evolution: – CreationIntro.ppt.
- What Does Science Say About Creation?: – ScienceCreation.ppt.
- Challenges to the Theory of Evolution: The theory of Evolution is not supported by science. We present four major challenges to the theory of Evolution. The challenges are presented here:
- Is the Bible Reliable on Science? [Science Truths in The Bible]: We trust the Bible for spiritual truth. Events, people and nations in the Bible have been corroborated by extra-biblical historians. The Bible has been confirmed by prophecy, archaeology, and geography. Do we trust the Bible when it makes scientific statements? There are many biblical references in different disciplines of science. The authors refer to nature and natural processes using everyday language. Their statements are amazingly accurate and often anticipate scientific insights that were not discovered by scientists until the last few centuries. The Bible is authoritative in all matters that it addresses. In fact modern science is founded on the biblical worldview. BibrelScience.ppt.
- What Is Intelligent Design?: The theory of Intelligent Design (ID) holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection. ID takes intelligence to be a separate principle not reducible to chance and necessity (law). Signs of ID include irreducible complexity and specified complexity. One can use Dembski’s explanatory filter to test for complexity. We provide examples of design that require an intelligent designer. WhatIsID.ppt.
- Incredible Creatures By Design: Some incredible creatures live on earth – the giraffe, the butterfly, migrating birds, human, etc. Did these creatures evolve or were they created? The evidence indicates that they were designed and created by an all-powerful Creator. CreaturesByDesign.ppt.
- Our Privileged Planet: The design of the universe, the attributes of our planet Earth, and its location in the universe, make human life possible, as well as the means to observe the universe around us. Earth is uniquely situated in our solar system, our galaxy (Milky Way), and in the universe. We take a look at what Secular scientists have found in their search for signs of life on other planets in the universe. We conclude that Earth was carefully designed for our well being. This is based on our analysis of 1) design principles, 2) the precise fine-tuned parameters of the earth, our galaxy, and the universe, 3) the laws of science, nature, and logic, and 4) the probability of finding life on a planet. The evidence points to an Intelligent Designer and Creator, the God of the Bible. OurPrivPlanet.ppt.
- Has Science Now Buried God?: This talk is based on Dr. John Lennox‘s book, God’s Undertaker: Has Science Buried God?” According to many modern commentators, science has now explained all that we observe in the universe and God is no longer needed. We are told that atheism is the only intellectually tenable position, and any attempt to invoke God as the explanation impedes progress in science. Lennox asks the critical question whether science points to atheism? He shows that theism fits more comfortably with science than atheism. Science is limited in the scope of its explanations. We conclude that this is not a debate between science and religion, but a debate between two very different worldviews. ScienceAndGod.ppt.
- Answering The New Atheists: Some “New Atheists” have written hard-hitting books over the last decade claiming that God does not exist and that religion poisons everything. They (Dawkins, Dennett, Harris, Hitchens) are often referred to as the “Four Horsemen.” We look at the principles of the new atheism and consider eight of their common claims. A number of Christian Apologists (Wilson, Fernandes, McDurmon, Lennox) have written books refuting the claims of these atheists. We show that the atheist’s claims are nothing new and are indeed false. In doing so we look at a wide range of evidence and ask the question – does the evidence best support Theism or Atheism? This talk is provided with two different titles:
- Science And The New Atheists: – ScienceAtheists.ppt.
- Does Your Truth Match Reality?: – RealityCheck.ppt.
- How To Defend Your Faith: In 1 Pet. 3:15 God commands us to be able to defend what we believe and give the reason for the hope we have with gentleness and respect. We must overcome the roadblocks to faith and be able to present the evidence for the truth of our faith. We have many examples of how Jesus and His Apostles defended the faith, as well as the examples of modern day apologists. Our faith is based on facts and can be defended with confidence. Various versions of this lecture are provided for the different audiences:
- Genesis Chapters 1-2, Creation: Foundation of Our Faith: Creation is the foundation of the Christian faith upon which the Bible rests. Genesis 1 and 2 describe the Creation of our world ex nihilo in six days. This is confirmed by references to the details by the writers of the books of the Old and New Testaments. Jesus quotes from the first eleven chapters of Genesis as true history. The early church fathers referred to the events of Creation as historical events. From this came attempts to re-interpret the historical meanings of Gen. 1-2 as allegorical, resulting in compromising theories such as 1) Gap, 2) Day-Age, 3) Theistic Evolution, and 4) Framework Hypothesis. Many aspects of the theories are not supported by the proper exegesis of the biblical text or by science. Genesis1-2.ppt.
- Evolution Is Incompatible With The Bible And Science: – EvolutionBibleScience.ppt.
- Explaining The Reality of God: – RealityOfGod.ppt.
- Various Pseudoscience Lectures:
- Life and Information: The information and the programs running in the human cell provide evidence that we were created by an Intelligent Being (God) and did not get here through the process of evolution. Living organisms require information, complexity, and design. This requires an intelligent designer. Life did not, cannot, and will not come from non-life by random chance in nature. Two versions of this talk:
- Origins, Life and Information: We examine how and where life might have originated – On earth? In some warm pond as suggested by Darwin? In an ocean vent? By means of self organization? By means of panspermia or directed panspermia? Or was life created according to its kinds by a Designer as described in the first chapter of Genesis? The role of information in living organisms leads us to the inevitable conclusion. We discover the similarity in the nature of information, machines and programs in writing systems, computer systems, and living systems. Each requires a design, and therefore a designer. This similarity helps us to explain why life did not, does not, and will not start from non-life by chance. Science and the Bible agree on this. OriginsLifeInformation.ppt/pdf.
- Pain and Suffering: If God is loving and all powerful, why do we have so much pain, suffering and death? To the atheist death and time are required by evolution. The biblical view is that God created everything very good and gave man a free will. Man’s rebellion/sin resulted in suffering and death. Death is an enemy. Suffering results from direct human sin, deliberate acts of others, government social policies, and natural disasters or accidents. God has purposes in our suffering, but God is doing something about suffering and death. The cross gives us victory over sin and death and is the source of our hope for eternal life. PainSuffering.ppt, [Notes].
- Biblical Worldview: A worldview is a philosophy, ideology or religion that provides an overarching approach to understanding God, the world, and man’s relationship to both. A complete worldview contains a perspective regarding each of the ten disciplines: theology, philosophy, ethics, biology, psychology, sociology, law, politics, economics, and interpretation of history. A worldview is a way of viewing or interpreting all of reality. We compare the Biblical Worldview with the competing worldviews of Islam, Secular Humanism, Marxism, New Age, and Postmodernism. We show that only Christianity satisfies the criteria for determining truth. It is coherent, rational, matches reality and explains the real world. Worldview.ppt /pdf.
- Impact of Atheism on Ethics: For a description see Answering The New Atheists above. ImpactOfAtheism.ppt /pdf.
- Impact of Evolution on Ethics: The ideas associated with Evolution have consequences and are having an impact on the ethics of our society. The Evolution vs. Creation controversy is not a battle between Science and Religion, but a War of Worldviews. Evolution has a pervasive influence on every aspect of man’s thinking, including his ethics. Darwin removed the theological basis of the moral code of Christianity. We have seen the deadly results of this in the 20th century, and we continue to see the impact in our society on the sanctity of life, racism, morality, rights, family, education, and business ethics today. ImpactOfEvolution.ppt /pdf.
- Cloning and Stem Cells: – Cloning.ppt.
Secular scientists claim that Evolution is a fact. They even go so far as to say “Evolution Explains Everything.” But can this be verified by empirical science? We examine some of the secular science statements made in the last few years in which these scientists propose new natural explanations for 1) the origin of our universe, 2) the origin of first life, and 3) the origin of complex life (Darwinian Evolution). We think of Evolution, Creation, and Intelligent Design when it comes to origins. The doubts that Darwin expressed about his theory more than 150 years ago in his book on “The Origin of Species.” have still not been resolved in favor of Evolution. Many secular scientists have now resorted to pseudoscience in their attempts to rescue the Theory of Evolution and explain origins.
Their explanations include such proposals as the Big Bang, Inflation, Quantum Fluctuations, Gravity, and the Multiverse for the origin of the universe. The origin of first life requires a primordial soup, self-replicating complex molecules, enzymes as catalysts, cells, and an energy source. What evidence do these secular scientists offer for all of these elements being available at the right time and in the right environment to produce first life? Where and how do they claim that life started if not on Earth? – Hydrothermal Vents? Mars? Panspermia? Directed Panspermia? There are many different dictionary definitions for the word Evolution. What definition do these secular scientists use to show that Evolution is a fact and that the designs we see in complex life in nature can be explained by mutations and natural selection?
We see that the explanations offered by these secular scientists are not what we have historically accepted as normal science – empirical science and the use of the scientific method. Many of the secular explanations are shown to be pseudoscience, now sometimes referred to as post-normal science, a concept that goes beyond the assumptions that science is certain and value-free. New atheists such as Dawkins, Hawking, Krauss and Stenger are masters at hijacking the traditional definition of science in support of their secular agendas of naturalism.
Lectures on the general topic of Pseudoscience include:
- Origin of Our Universe Pseudoscience.
- Origin of First Life Pseudoscience.
- Origin of Complex Life (Darwinian) Pseudoscience.